Davis Memorial Nature Preserve

The Davis Memorial Nature Preserve includes hiking trails and an impressive geological fault that vertically cuts through the earth about 30 feet. This exposed 400 million year old bedrock that is viewable today.

The Davis Memorial Nature Preserve also includes a cave and diverse and even rare plant life. It is also known for excellent spring wild flower and fall foliage viewing.

The preserve is 88 acres and is considered to have exceptional scenic beauty. It also is home to a rare rock plant, Sullvantia which is a remnant of the pre-glacial era. Other notable species include arborvitae, great cane, hoary puccoon and purple cliffbrake fern.

The geological features include the Silurian dolomite cliffs. Inside the cliffs both Peebles dolomite and Greenfield dolomite are exposed. Visitors will also be able view Ohio black shale formations. The cliffs provide the perfect home for white cedar and the previously mentioned Sullivantia.

Additional plant life includes American aloe, dwarf hawthorn, hairy wing-stem, side-oats gramma grass and purple coneflower. These are found in the more prairie like areas of the preserve. Additional significant species include Walter’s violet, narrow-leaved bluecurls, limestone Adder’s-tongue fern and tall larkspur.

Visitors will want to allow for at least an hour visit to take in everything the preserve has to offer.

 

 

Cedar Bog Nature Preserve

The Cedar Bog Nature Preserve was the first in Ohio to be bought with state money—many think of the bog as the premiere natural preservation in Ohio. It is owned by the state and run by a non-profit organization, the Cedar Bog Association for the Ohio History Connection.

Cedar Bog is one of 25 National Natural Landmarks in Ohio meaning it is recognized for its importance. It is ranked the highest in the state of Ohio for its plant and flower diversity.

The boardwalk, a about a mile and quarter long, is open during daylight seven days a week unless noted otherwise. Ohioans and visitors are encouraged to come and walk among the incredibly diverse plant and wildlife Cedar Bog Nature Preserve.

The Cedar Bog Nature Center is located immediately inside the preserve itself. The Cedar Bog Nature Center is a focal point of environmental education, natural history education and various workshops. The center is composed of a full-size classroom, exhibit hall and gift shop.

Visitors of Cedar Bog Nature Center can enjoy nature from the beautiful observation deck. Additionally, visitors should tour the rain garden, the home of birds and butterflies, which also includes a picnic area.

 

Composer Benjamin Russel Hanby, Ohioan

Benjamin Russel Hanby was born in Rushville, Ohio on July 22, 1833. He would become an American composer, pastor and educator who wrote about 80 songs in his lifetime. His mostly well known compositions were the Christmas carols “Up on the House Top,” “Jolly Old Saint Nicholas” as well as popular song “Darling Nelly Gray and the hymn “Who Is He In Yonder Stall?”.

In 1849 he moved to Westerville, Ohio to attend Otterbein University. He was also involved, with his father Bishop William Hanby, in the Underground Railroad.

Hanby composed the popular song “Darling Nelly Gray” on the now historical site Hanby House which is located on Grove and Main in Westerville, OH right across from Otterbein University.

After graduating from Otterbein he taught school, briefly. Afterwards he became a minister at the Church of the United Brethren in Christ. Later, in 1860, he became the principal of Seven Mile Academy located in Seven Mile, Ohio. He was also, briefly, a minister of a church in New Paris, Ohio but quickly started operating a singing school in New Paris.

When he composed “Up On The Housetop” as a Christmas sing-along. He originally named it just “Santa Claus.” Just the next year George Frederick Root brought Hanby to Chicago to look into further music publishing business based on their success with “Up On the Housetop.”

At 33 years old Hanby died from tuberculosis in Chicago in 1867. His grave is located at the Otterbein Cemetery, Westerville, OH.

Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial

Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial stands on South Bass island to commemorate the Battle of Lake Erie. This battle, in which Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry won one of the most important navel battles of the War of 1812. The column memorial also represents the lasting peace between Canada, the U.K. and the U.S. after the war.

The monument is known to be the worlds biggest Doric column at 352 feet tall. In a commission from multiple states to memorialize international peace by arbitration and disarmament. It was built between 1912-195 after an international contest over the design which was won by A.D. Seymour and Joseph H. Freelander.

This memorial to international peace is just five miles from the longest border I the world.
While the monument bears Perry’s name, six other officers killed during the Battle of Lake Erie are interred under the monument’s rotunda. Oliver Hazard Perry is buried in Newport, Rhode Island. The six officers include 3 American and 3 British officers.The names of soldiers and sailors injured or killed at the battle are carved into the walls of the rotunda.

Perry’s Monument is the only international peace memorial that is part of the US National Park System. It is 47 feet taller than the Statue of Liberty and it’s upper deck platform is 12 feet higher than the Lady Liberty’s torch.

Fort Recovery: Before the Battle of Fallen Timbers

Fort Recovery is the site of two well-known battles in the Northwest Indian War. Ohio was under the claim of Native American nations and war broke out when the then young U.S. built towns for settlers north of the Ohio River. Arthur St. Clair, Northwest Territory governor, lead troops from Fort Washington to quell the Western Confederacy at Kekionga in 1791. This battle was never to be as the U.S. forces were annihilated. St. Clair’s Defeat is the U.S.’s greatest loss against a Native American troops.

Because of this great Native American victory, the Legion of the United States was founded. General “Mad Anthony” Wayne was given command. In 1973, Wayne brought 300 men to the grounds of St. Clair’s defeat and built Fort Recovery there. They were able to identify the site due to the large number of unburied remains. George Will, a private, wrote that they had to move bones to make space for their beds.

On June 30th a large Native American with a few British officers laid siege to Fort Recovery. The Legion prevailed and was able to keep the fort under their control despite heavy losses.

Wayne would use Fort Recovery as a staging ground to make military advances into the territory. He finally defeated the Native Americans at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. During the creation of the Treaty of Greenville, Fort Recovery was used as a reference point for the border between the Native American territories and the U.S. territory.

Today, Fort recovery is a village in Ohio’s Mercer County with a population of roughly 1,400 people. The village is built near the site of Fort Recovery and near the headwaters of the Wabash River.