The Ashton House Museum of Carrollton

Mr. John H. Ashton started working in a variety store when just 12 years of age and continued his career in retail until his death at 99 years old in 2005. His late wife, Evelyn, and John were not just successful business-people in their community but were dedicated to serving the community outside of their business.

John H. Ashton graduated from Spencerville High School in 1924 and then later from the Lima Business College in 1925.

John and Evelyn, at one time, owned all or part of eleven different Ben Franklin Stores. Additionally, John H. Ashton was a dedicated member of the community in his adopted hometown of Carrollton. John H. Ashton was a founder of the Carrollton Chamber of Commerce and an original member of the Carrollton Civic Club. He was also a member of the Carrollton Rotary club, the Carrollton Village Fire Department, the Elks club, the local Masons, the Carrollton and Spencerville Historical Societies, he served on the Carrollton Boy Scout Committee and he was a 30-year board member of the Cummings Bank.

The Ashtons will certainly be missed by Carrollton and the surrounding communities but their legacy will live on through their contributions and through the museum created in their name. This museum will include items from the Ashton’s family history. Some dating as far back as the early 1800’s. The museum will also include items of a historic or nostalgic nature from Carrollton, the community the Ashtons loved so much.

Items from the Ashton’s personal collection will include their Hummel collection, Anri, their Wade figurines as well as Knowles, Hibel and Bing and Grondahl plates. Also their Haviland dishware from Limoge, France. There will also be, for the sports fans, items from the Kentucky Derby and The Ohio State Buckeyes going back to the 1940’s. There will also be vintage holiday postcards from the early 1900’s, political paraphernalia and vintage toys and games. The museum will even include vintage TV and radio shows playing in the museum that visitors can sit and enjoy.

Shaker Historical Society Prohibition Exhibition

This new exhibition examines how Prohibition affected Shaker Heights residents. The way they lived, worked and entertained. Many of the homes in Shaker Heights have wine cellars and bars. The exhibition brings those once private spaces to light and to life for the public. Additionally, it will look at the rise of homebrewing and the cocktail.

The Shaker Historical Society was created in 1947. Its mission is to tend to the stewardship of the region’s most important histories. The organization does this through respectful discovery, collection, preservation and public demonstrations. The Shaker Historical Society is intended to uphold the traditions and heritage of the Shaker sect, Warrensville Township and Shaker Heights.

The home of The Shaker Historical Society is arranged on the grounds of the previous North Union Center Family’s apple plantation and vegetable garden and was the previous home of Louis Myers, a land specialist for the Van Sweringen Company, and his significant other, Blanche. From the Myers Mansion we work an exhibition hall, an open research library and files, a workmanship display, a nearby shop and network of cultivated flower beds.

Exhibit Located at Shaker Historical Museum